Friday, February 29, 2008

Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis (OOKP)

What the heck is Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis? Well, basically, it's a procedure whereby a person can regain their lost sight through, basically, putting a tooth in their eye. Yeah, I know, I had to double check to make sure it wasn't a hoax, but it's not, it's a real procedure. This world is a strange place.
(FYI, if you didn't know, they're doing face transplants now as well. And bionic eyes are not far off.
. . .
Speaking of electronic..."enhancements" or medical replacements, Dean Kamen of Segway fame is coming along nicely on his "Luke arm" project. Quite amazing. I think the eventual goal is to tap it directly into the nervous system.
. . .
Exoskeletons are coming along at a good pace as well. Oh, and did you know that you can live without a pulse now as well? You can. The boundaries between man and machine are becoming thinner and thinner. Homosapien or robosapien? That is the question that I, Cyborg author Kevin Warwick explores. He even goes as far as to state: "Though I may have been born a human, I will die a cyborg."
. . .
Actually, there appears to be an interesting take on the whole subject written from a Jewish viewpoint, looking at this new technologically driven world that we live with the Golem legend in mind. I haven't read it, but this book looks quite interesting. Maybe I'll check it out next time I'm at the library.
. . .
I could keep going on about this stuff for days, but I won't. There's not way a single blog post could cover it all. So fascinating though. And this stuff I'm covering is the stuff that's readily available knowledge, not anything that looks at current military secret research. I've heard that the public is generally about 8 to 25 years behind on what the military is researching and doing.
. . .
Just two things to remember: 1) The Singularity is coming (last projection I saw was for around 2025), and 2) England already has Skynet in place and running (as of November 2007). Fifth generation actually. True, it's not THAT Skynet, but it's still a Skynet put in orbit by the military.
Just to give you something to think about . . . *grin*
. . .
If you feel so inclined, give a little research time to telepresence, nanotechnology, customized drugs (as well as viruses), and autonomous armed robots, just to name a few things that we either currently have or are on the cusp of having. Oh, the space elevator project is pretty cool too. Don't know if it's ever going to actually happen, but cool nonetheless.

No comments: